Under eye bags are one of the most common and obvious signs of aging. Unfortunately, to remove eye bags once they have already formed is very difficult especially if you can’t afford or simply don’t want to resort to cosmetic surgery.
Now, in many cases, under eye puffiness is confused for under eye bags when in fact these are two very different conditions:
- Under eye bags form when facial muscles get weaker and skin loses elasticity. When this happens, fluids and fat start to accumulate in the area right under the eyes causing under eye bags to appear. This usually happens as we get older, although some people develop this condition very early (in their 30s) while others may only start noticing these annoying signs of aging past the ages of 50.
- Under eye puffiness can occur in people of all ages and is normally linked to conditions such as allergy, vitamin deficiencies, extreme fatigue and so on. In most cases, puffiness can be treated and you can get rid of dark circles using simple home remedies and they are not permanent.
So, how do you get rid of eye bags and puffiness? First of all, you have to understand that most cases of age-related under eye bags are not treatable without surgery. You may be able to reduce their appearance a little but completely removing age-related under eye bags is nearly impossible.
As for under eye puffiness – you have to find out exactly what the underlying cause is. For example:
- In some cases, puffiness under the eyes can be caused by allergies. This happens when your nose is constantly blocked causing fluids to build up between your nose and eyes. Many people find that using a simple nose spray that contains salty sea water is enough to fix this.
- A very salty diet can mess up the way your body stores fluids which often leads to extra fluids accumulating under the eyes causing puffiness.
- If you smoke, drink, do not exercise regularly, and lead a very unhealthy lifestyle in general, under eye bags can be caused by poor blood flow. You should try to kick any unhealthy habits that you may have and try to get regular physical exercise to fix this. In some cases, look for the best eye cream or a roll-on pen with caffeine. They can help as well.
Using a cold mask, such as cold cucumber or potato slices or a cooled down spoon, helps to relieve the immediate appearance of under eye bags and puffiness. Cold constricts blood vessels in the area reducing swelling and bruising. Don’t forget that this is only a temporary solution, though!